Monday, April 11, 2011

it's not the chase that I love, it's me following you

 source
I drove to Charlotte for the weekend to visit my boyfriend, and we went to the Avett Brothers concert on Saturday night.  The show was fantastic (CL Charlotte does a pretty good recap here) - the Avett Brothers are from Concord, NC, so this was definitely a hometown crowd for them, and they played a good bit of their older stuff because of it.  I wish I could say I instantly recognized and sang along to every song from the set because, like a majority of the audience on Saturday, I've been a fan since forever, but my admiration of the band only stretches back a couple of years.  Regardless, even though Chris and I were relative newbies, the show was so great and my appreciation for this band has only increased.


If you're not a fan yet, I'd be happy to share my Grooveshark playlist of my favorite Avett Brothers songs, plus you can check out their Grammys performance with Mumford & Sons and Bob Dylan here.

We were also treated to a really fun opening act, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals.  Grace Potter is this cute-as-hell leggy blonde whose musical style is kind of a Bonnie-Raitt-meets-Stevie-Nicks-meets-Tina-Turner situation. 

 

For a taste of the range, check out the bluesy, real-talk "Big White Gate" and the fun and sexy "Paris - Ooh La La".  They closed with "Medicine" and a full-band drum solo, which Chris eloquently labeled a "percussion orgy."  Girlfriend also pulled the whole thing off in head-to-toe sequins and sick shoes.  Sold.


To top it all off, the show was at Bojangles' Coliseum, which means that, for the first time ever, I was in an establishment where I could purchase a Cajun Filet Biscuit and a Bud Light tallboy in one fell swoop.  I didn't (not the CFB anyway - such self control!), but it was pretty sweet nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment