Thursday, April 14, 2011

al fresco, part 3 - PUTTER'S

source

I'm not sure if this officially counts as "al fresco", as it's more of a covered patio situation, but there's no way Putter's wasn't getting a shout-out here so I don't really care.

Winston-Salem, NC isn't much of a "college town" - having visited real college towns like Athens and Chapel Hill, where the campuses integrate seamlessly with the surrounding city, its inhabitants and its establishments; and which exist because of  the universities therein, rather than in spite of; I realize that Wake Forest's reputation for being a gated country club campus is pretty accurate.

That being said, our city did offer some lovely dining and imbibing options, and I think I speak for a majority of WFU students and alumni when I say that Putter's is one of the very favorites.


homecoming 2009...  #imissmyfriends

The Putter's food is pretty typical bar food - sandwiches, wings, cheesesteaks, and pretty decent salads if you're into that sort of thing.  There are also signs in there that say "best steak in town," but I have to say I've never tried the steak.  Their famous homemade soft chips are everyone's favorite menu item, and they're served with a homemade gorgonzola ranch sauce that almost certainly contains an addictive substance.

source

There is a pretty decent selection of draught beers that are available by the pitcher, and they serve tequila shots in plastic condiment cups with little plastic lids, making shot transport dangerously easy (not that we would ever do such a thing...).

Putter's is also walking-distance from the WFU football stadium and equipped with several flat-screen TV's, making it a perfect post-tailgate spot.  I can't say much for the view (you're looking at an IHOP parking lot to one side and a strip mall to the other), but after one soft chip and a swig of Blue Moon, you won't even care.  Promise.

2 comments:

  1. putters is definitely on our list of places to hit on our W-S day trips. LOVE

    ReplyDelete
  2. No one has ever eaten the steak at Putters. I don't think they even HAVE steak.

    Trixy Minxes.

    Mmmmmmmmm chips - part crispy, part soft - and RANCH. I'll be crying in my Healthy Choice Steamers over here.

    THANKS.

    ReplyDelete