Tuesday, May 17, 2011

all hail the pubscout (aka, I'm a sucker for flattery)

As I mentioned, we met a dude named Kurt Epps in Key West at The Porch, who has a blog called The Pub Scout in which he included a post about his own trip to Key West, in which resides the following paragraph:

Another bar that was a must-visit was a place called The Porch. If you love craft beer in all its diversity, do not miss this place. It's in a former mansion called the Porter mansion. Be forewarned, however, that you'll need to acquire your victual elsewhere, as there is no food served here. Chris Shultz, the amiable, free-spirited owner, didn't want the hassles of staff, kitchen regs, etc. He simply dreamed of opening a bar that had the finest beers available, and that he has done exceptionally well. A glance at some of the photos on the right will attest to the wide range of offerings. On my visit I opted for DogFish head's My Antonia. Two, to be precise. And I drank them seated next to a lovely young couple named Chris and Taylor. Taylor, a stunning beauty, initially drank wine, but I browbeat and embarrassed her sufficiently that she went the beer route after one glass. When I asked Chris which beer was his best seller, he answered emphatically, "Magic Hat #9, without question."

Aw, shucks.  Thanks Kurt!

Besides the hyperbolic flattery, Kurt is also the man because he captured the one and only photo of Chris and me from the trip!


source
If you're into beer, motorcycles, and/or travel, go give the Pub Scout some love (not literally, he's happily married, but you know).

1 comment:

  1. "Stunning beauty" was absolutely correct, as anyone with eyes can attest. I should have included "savvy writer" as well. Nice to have met you both! I'm raising my next pint to you and Night Moves.

    ReplyDelete