Wednesday, May 18, 2011

8th grade industrial design

Do you all remember the 8th grade?  I think that was one of my favorite years.  I adored my friends (remained true, but I think I was in full-on queen bee mode at the time); I was a starter on the soccer team (that uhhh...didn't last); I could get out of anything by saying I had to go to Student Council (WHY CAN'T THAT WORK IN COLLEGE/REAL LIFE??); and my little sister was a 6th grader, so we were finally in the same school again (I forced her to go to my college, too).  Yes, I had some great teachers that year, and I vaguely remember some interesting projects (turning each classroom on our hallway into a different continent - that was a good one), but all in all 8th grade ruled because I had tons of friends and lots of boyfriends and that was post-Columbine so we had lots of "lock in" drills during which we were confined to our classrooms for several hours, during which time we watched Apollo 13 and gossiped.

That being said, CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW COOL 8TH GRADE WOULD HAVE BEEN IF YOU GOT TO DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS??



There are several more videos that document the rest of the process on the Tools at Schools Vimeo Page, and they are all just as charming and interesting.

I learned about this project via Fast Company's Design blog and the post here.  I highly recommend checking both out for some ideas/products/designs that will rock your world, even if you are not the least bit visually creative yourself (comme moi).

There's a slideshow of images from the project here, and I've picked my favorite renderings:
NOTE -SLOT AND DOORKNOB-LOCK LOVE LOVE LOVE

interchangeable parts based on the subject; whiteboard surface, COAT HOOK
the chair can recline/bounce, there's storage, AND IT'S FAUX SUEDE SO YOUR SHORTS-CLAD SWEATY BARE LEGS WON'T STICK TO IT! GENIUS!

Kinda makes me want to go back to 8th grade (and can I have one of those love-letter-lockers while I'm at it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment